Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Journey Across the Atlantic


The Waterford Crystal Factory, originally uploaded by jawsmurphy.

Coll, Jeff, and I woke up before 6:00 am on the morning we were leaving. Sean got out of bed to drive us to the San Jose Airport, where we began our journey. We had a 4 hour flight to Chicago O’Hare, followed by a 7 hour flight to Dublin, Ireland.

With the time change being what it is, we touched down in Dublin just after 6 in the morning on Wednesday, August 29th.

Which means that at some point while I was sleeping on the plane, crazy sadistic gnomes came in and stole the day from me. Those jerks.

Meg met us at the airport (next to the smoothie stand). We got the initial hugs and giggles and smiles of excitement out of the way, and then hoisted our luggage and headed for the car.

Meg assures us right away that we packed well and that she rented a car with an ‘extra large boot’. I *really* wish i had taken a picture of that car. Or at least of us with all our luggage. Or both. Because I am actually very impressed at the amount of luggage and clothing that we managed to pack into that little red Peugot...and extra large boot or no, it was a tight squeeze.



The plan for the trip was to spend the first half of it driving across the Irish countryside, stopping at strategic locations to do and see the things we all were interested in. The second half would be spent in Dublin, seeing where Meg has lived and adventured for the past year.

We didn’t waste any time, and headed for our first stop: Co. Waterford.


We chatted and caught up and continued to express our excitement for the trip. Us Americans took some time to scope out the driving situation in this new country, grilling our Dubliner sister about everything: signs, roundabouts, traffic patterns, and even the Guarda. Who apparently are pussy cats who don’t carry weapons and occasionally have their shapely bodies comically stuffed into a small bullet proof vests.


Once we got a little further away from the Dublin traffic, we turned on the radio. The trip to Waterford was going to take about two hours, heading south through Co. Kilkenny. The first song we hear?

‘Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It’ by none other than Will Smith, the Fresh Prince of Bel Air himself.




Let’s just say that this trip started off on a good note....


And some goofy dancing.


= )





(as a side note: I’m not sure if anyone has ever actually looked up the lyrics to this masterpiece.......but there are some gems....

Now honey honey come ride
Dkny all up in my eye
You gotta prada bag with alotta stuff in it

Givin up jiggy make it feel like foreplay
Yo, my car, yo its infinite-

In the middle of the club with the rub-a-dub, unh
No love for the haters, the haters
Mad cause I got floor seats at the lakers
See me on the fifty yard line with the raiders
Met ali he told me Im the greatest
I got the fever for the flavor of a crowd pleaser
Dj play another
From the prince of this
Your highness
Only mad chicks ride in my whips

Women used to tease me
Give it to me now nice and easy
Since I moved up like george and wheezy
Cream to the maximum I be askin em

Flatten em
Psyche
Kiddin
You thought I took a spill
But I didnt


*sniff* it’s......beautiful)

Posted by *erin* | 11:31 PM